Saturday 12 October 2013

Book Review #4: A Bright Particular Star by Elizabeth Hanbury


This is the first book of Elizabeth Hanbury's that I've completed.

I would have completed it sooner, only I started reading one of her other works, 'A Midsummer Eve at Rookery End', at the same time (yay for team ADHD!) but I'm getting more focussed now, honestly.

If you like strong heroines, this is the book for you. Sophie Deveraux is no weakling and her skillful, playful handling of Theo is a real joy to read, and to visualise.

It's much like a road trip in the Regency period. I started thinking about Thelma and Louise for a similar reason. But the story is really about what Sophie wants as opposed to what is expected of her, and it's refreshing that a woman like this would have existed in this period.

Many times a character (often male, often Theo) will say "What the deuce?" (this or that) and I find it gently funny - and refreshing, that we don't need expletives here.

Sometimes I think profanity is okay, but only in context. But it's a nice take on the frustrations the characters would have felt in this period.

To be a good writer, you have to observe other writers who are successful in their genre, and I'm taken aback - quite literally, how detailed everything is in this regency world we find ourselves in.

Sometimes, I think "too much detail, you should have left it to the reader's imagination", but in other ways, I think I should read it from the point of knowing nothing about regency romance (up until a week ago, I can say I definitely knew nothing).

As I mentioned on my 'currently reading' piece about this book, it's really quite delightful and I enjoyed every page.

Sophie is the perfect heroine and I understand this is perhaps not the only time we will see her.

I love to give five star reviews and will happily do so here. I'm still enjoying the author's other book that I have and will look forward to one more (when I've ordered it, sorry Elizabeth!).

Consider me a fan. I loved this book!

Elizabeth's website is here:- http://www.elizabethhanbury.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment