Saturday 9 November 2013

Book Review #8: A Year in Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

6148028

This was my review of Catching Fire from a year ago. I'm about to read it once again, just ahead of the UK movie release. I think it was a brave decision to follow up the amazing Book One, but from what I recall, Suzanne Collins did it, and then some.

I just hope I will still agree with what I wrote a year ago.


2012 review:-

After the truly superlative 'Hunger Games', I hoped 'Catching Fire' could be at least half as good, then I would be happy. It starts off and sets quite a pace, in line with the first book. Katniss is still super cool without being too into herself, and I really love how she is written. 

The book itself does feel like a 'middle story' though, and when it ended, I was 'hmm - so where do we go now?' - obviously, onto 'Mockingjay' the third in the series, but Catching Fire, and the other two books, will have to be seen as a whole, so until I read Mockingjay, I can't be for certain where this all fits.

Where Catching Fire excels over so many other books is how gripping it is written, and just keeps you turning the pages. It lacks the pow pow pow of the first book, so why the five stars? It deserves five - it is gripping, great character development, and shocks aplenty, but not just for the sake of shock value. 

I am reading Mockingjay right now, and I hope for an amazing end to this trilogy. Suzanne Collins certainly created a great story for teens to adults. It's gory, but great!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your updated review! I find that sometimes when I read a book for the second time, I just get so much more out of it! I find things I missed and get much more punch out of a book :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punch is right! CF was amazing. I never expected it to match the first book, and i think I enjoyed it all he more because of that. Will do the updated review soon. Thank you Chanzie!

    ReplyDelete