Sunday 17 November 2013

R.I.P. Doris Lessing

File:Doris lessing 20060312 (jha).jpg

DORIS LESSING
22nd October 1919 - 17th November 2013

Doris Lessing authored more than 50 works, crossing both non-fiction and fiction books.

It is always a great pain to me when someone of stature in his or her chosen art passes away. I realise such things are part of life, but I think it is even more important in today's 'must have it now' world that we remember someone who acted very different to many of today's authors.

How will today's authors be remembered, when it is their time? And what legacy will they leave?

Do we, those of us who write, want to leave a legacy through our writing? Or is it all about fame and money making?

One of the things most wonderful about Doris Lessing was that she was completely self taught, and wrote, simply because she wanted to.

No doubt her later writing improved much on those early works, but I think every writer can testify to that experience.

Some other people I know insisted on doing a creative writing course, before attempting their first book.
The trouble was, and is, in my view, is that they suck the creativity out of you, and you become just like everyone else. Am I wrong on this?

When Harry Potter was at its height, I think everyone wanted to write 'the next' Harry Potter. Same with The Hunger Games.

You have to find your own way. If you book doesn't have the latest hot topic, say, a dystopian world, or a love triangle, or both (!) then you should find your own way when you write.

That was what Doris Lessing did in each of her works. I'll be seeking out what made her so special, as I regret to say I have not read anything she has written.

Rest in peace, Doris.




4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of Doris before but I really enjoyed your post and the wisdom in it. I am one of those people who probably need to 'Do a course' or read a book about it before I attempt anything.. lol It is porbably a way of me procrastinating.

    What a great post John! Thank you :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I really like the changes you had made on your blog! The heading is smart and the blue background is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chene! Thank you....I'm jut experimenting with some of the templates...I think the blog needs constant work on it. Always great to have your insight and feedback. I will try and keep things interesting!

      Delete
    2. 'just' experimenting....spell fail! Blame 'The Dark Knight'...I was watching that again last night, still blown away by its awesomeness...!

      Delete