Saturday 28 March 2015

Book Review: An Accidental Murder by J New

25205644


I find murder mysteries absolutely fascinating, even when say Poirot has got them all in a room, dissects each person's role (or non-role) effectively, before revealing the killer.

Sherlock Holmes is perhaps the most famous of sleuths. I thought An Accidental Murder would run something like these great classic detective tales, but having read Miss New's superlative Predator or Prey story collection, I should have known better.

Miss New has weaved a tale that seems quirky at first. It's hard for me to say exactly what is going on without revealing what I think are key plot points, but it would not be a give away to say that the cat 'Phantom' (he of the cover) is not all he seems to be!

I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but look at it - don't you want to be on that train to find out what's going on ??
This book is utterly intriguing and I would say it's biggest strength, apart from the elegant story telling, is the beautifully crafted detail the author has put into this book. Everything is so wonderfully described, placing you in the moment.

Things get really claustrophobic as the killer is revealed. Even then, one is not sure how the story is going to end. There are many great characters in the story, of course, our heroine Isabella is a given, but I liked Ginny too (though that could be explained by the fact I loved her namesake in Harry Potter).

Mystery and murder intertwine in a deliciously wicked way that make the reader yearn for more. Not sure how many books will be in this series, but sign me up for the lot.

I rarely read a book in one go, but this totally did it for me.

Get it today.






No comments:

Post a Comment